Monday, August 4, 2008

A Solid Local Entrepreneur Example

Today's Richmond Times-Dispatch has an article in the Metro Business section about Wayne Castleberry's Mac Technologies. It provides a solid example of someone who found a way to follow their small business dream. I love hearing about these "who knew!" businesses that are right around the corner. This one's about ten minutes from my house.

The article provides a couple of clear takeaways that can be utilized by everyone considering such a transition:
  • He is willing to take managed risks and get his hands dirty.
  • He shares his learnings with others to help them grow their business (what goes around, comes around).
  • He has clearly grown his business into areas of customer needs.
The article still fits Mr. Castleberry's story into a stereotype, however, as someone who was forced into small business from cushy Corporate America by downsizing. An interesting follow-on article to these (since a lot of these profiles seem to follow this same pattern) would be the envious conversations Mr. Castleberry and others have with the old co-workers. "I wish I could get out and start a small business to ...."

Mr. Castleberry found a way to make his dream happen. Those that he "left behind" would be surprised to find the options they have for doing the same. If they only took the time to look over the cubicle walls to see it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool post. I want to run a business soon, so this will be useful. I know it’ll be tough, but I’m ready for it. Instead of starting a business from scratch, I'd like to buy one. I've been looking, but I haven't had much luck. Do you, or anyone else, have any suggestions? Thanks.

Matthew Markee said...

Thanks for the feedback! Your own network is typically your best resource for businesses. Depending on the type you want, ask contacts for a recommended business broker. Lawyers and bankers are good contacts that work with small businesses and know the ones looking to sell. Beware of whose interests brokers or others are looking out for, though!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the advice. I looked into my local Chamber of Commerce, and they were able to provide some good help. I did also check out BizTrader.com after doing more research, and I found a potential business. What's also nice is that I can use it to find a lender, which also makes things easier for me.
Anyway, thanks again! And thanks for the precautions!